Xpand glasses on Mitsubishi 3D TV

Discussion in 'General 3D and Stereoscopic Discussion' started by rikustrength, Aug 10, 2010.

1. rikustrength

rikustrength New Member

Ok, first time poster here, yay. :D I have a question and I can't seem to find the answer no matter where I look...

I have a new tv, it's a Mitsubishi dlp and it is 3d capable. I know Mitsubishi tv's use the checkerboard format for 3d viewing, and they sell a kit with two glasses and an emmiter that converts 3d signals into proper checkerboard for viewing. The kit is $400, and that's... A lot... I was able to find online that the x-pand glasses work with my tv, and they DON'T require an emmiter. However, I would only be able to use them with content that was natively checkerboard format, like the Avatar game. I even read on someone else with a similar tv to mine doing just this. I also have read that the xpand glasses are a lot more durable, and the fragile nature of the mitsubishi glasses is the number one complaint people have with them.

So, what I want to know is if I can get just the xpand glasses now, and get the mitsubishi emmitter later and have them be compatible? I would be using my ps3, which can't play 3d blu ray yet (til september), and I would intend to buy the emmitter once it's 3d blu ray capable. Will that work? Will the xpand glasses work with the mitsubishi emmitter so that I can view any 3d format on my tv? I basically just really really don't want to get the mitsubishi brand glasses since you HAVE to buy the bundle (which is overpriced) and they seem to be very delicate...

If anyone can answer this question I would be most appreciative. :)

rikustrength, Aug 10, 2010
  2. rikustrength

VeeJay Member

I can't answer your question, but I'd like to comment on the Mitsubishi glasses and their delicacy. I work in a store where 2 pair have been on display with a 65 inch DLP set. All day people try them, drop them on the floor many times, etc. etc. It's been on display for over a month now, and the glasses are still going strong, although the batteries have to be changed every few days because ot the frequent demos.

VeeJay, Aug 16, 2010
  3. rikustrength

VeeJay Member

I asked around at the store today (I don't work in Electronics) and was told that you can buy the Misubishi starter kit without the glasses for $99.00 which will get you the emitter and the converter box ... all that you really need for your set. Then you can buy 1 pair of Xpand glasses for $109.00 which are made especially for Mitsubishi DLP 3D TV's.

VeeJay, Aug 17, 2010
Ask a Question