Would like to display antique stereoscopic images on 3DTV

Discussion in 'General 3D and Stereoscopic Discussion' started by donnieSJ, Jan 23, 2012.

1. donnieSJ

donnieSJ New Member

Hi all, first post. Very interesting site.

Here's what I intend to do:

I have collected some stereoscopic images from the 1800's from around my home city. We had a great fire in 1877 that burned our city to the ground and stereo photography was in vogue at the time.

I have been viewing these on a reproduction stereoscope that I bought online. You know the devices, they look kind of like a pair of scuba goggles made out of wood with two lenses and a divider that seperates your fields of vision.

I recently got a 3D TV and it only seems natural that I would be able to display my 3d images on it for everyone to see. I am sure it would be quite dramatic, especially since we can still walk uptown to those same areas today.

Also I want to take some modern-day images in the same areas so people can see an A-B comaprison of then and now. I might construct a sliding tripod system so I can use the small digital camera we have now, I'm not sure of that part yet.

Anyway I guess what I am in need of is info: what is the best software to use for this, what format should the scans be in, has anyone done this before and what threads on this site might help in my endeavours in this area. Oh, and does anyone else collect antique 3D images and would they be interested in trading?

Thank-you all so much in advance for your assistance.

Don

donnieSJ, Jan 23, 2012
  2. donnieSJ

harveyfloyd Member

You will have to scan in your photos and save them as left and right views. Then download StereoPhotoMaker from here;http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/ its free. Align your L/R pairs and save as a format the TV accepts.

harveyfloyd, Feb 8, 2012
  3. donnieSJ

donnieSJ New Member

Thanks for the reply. To clarify I am using my 3DTV as a monitor and am running a Windows 7 PC with an Nvidia graphics card and 3DPlay. My intention is to display my old 3D photos on the monitor and use the 3D glasses (shutter type) that came with the TV to view the photos in 3D. I'm not sure if my original post made that clear or not.

donnieSJ, Feb 18, 2012
Ask a Question