Why do my 3D blu-rays underwhelm?

Discussion in 'General 3D and Stereoscopic Discussion' started by James D, Oct 12, 2012.

1. James D

James D New Member

Hello,

I'm new here and have found some useful info here, so I want to pose a question.

I recently got a 3D TV, (it's an LG passive 3DTV). I then got blu-rays of both "Avatar" and "Hugo." When I watched them, they looked good and all, but the 3D wasn't impressive to me or people I showed it to. I just shrugged my shoulders at first and thought that was as good as it was going to get.

But then I did some digging and found out about the different forms of 3D, suchs as side-by-side, top/bottom, etc.
    I then found some examples on youtube of side-by-side 3D of Avatar, downloaded them and tried them on my TV and it looked 100x BETTER THAN THE BLU-RAY! I finally got to see what people were raving about with this movie.

The only difference I can say that I didn't watch the blu-ray in side-by-side mode, as it didn't have (as far as I can tell) a way to get a side-by-side picture that my TV could meld together.

So long-story-short, what am I missing? Is there a setting somewhere that needs to be changed? (And yes, my blu-ray player is a 3D one and that option is enabled.)

I've also heard about how the side/side or top/bottom will cut the resolution in almost half, and thus might not be the best choice for 3D viewing, but I tried all the other options on my TV and as I said, only the youtube examples I've found are really impressive 3D-wise.

Sorry for the long first post.

-JD

James D, Oct 12, 2012
  2. James D

mike Well-Known Member

Jd my tv is a Samsung so that may be different but my pc monitor is a LG 3D passive tv/monitor,when i set 3D i get the choice of side by side ect so it may be you need to play further,not seen Avatar in 3d but have watched Hugo it is in my opinion a fairly good 3D film not a lot of poke your eye out but plenty of depth.One thing we did have a problem with was my wife set Hugo up and we started watching 20 min into the film we where both disappointed so we stopped it and did some checks,now not just saying this to defend my wife but the play options at the beginning could be misleading she had set it on the wrong one and we had been watching converted 3D.
    Just checked my monitor while typing this and the system is,press 3D on the remote,i get a box that says put on 3D glasses and select ok or cancel,on selecting ok i get a box allowing me to choose 2D-3D side by side ect so i choose side by side and its ok.
    Sounds to me like you are watching converted for some reason,we do have settings for 3D in the Samsung menu but i think they are only available for converted but could be wrong.

mike

mike, Oct 12, 2012
  3. James D

mike Well-Known Member

Should just add i hope it is something you are doing :) as i have Avatar blu-ray and was intending to buy the 3D blu-ray and sorry to ask the obvious but they are 3D blu-ray and not just blu-ray arnt they

mike

mike, Oct 12, 2012
Ask a Question