Viewing 3D pictures on a 3D TV

Discussion in '3D Cameras' started by Bill Klein, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Bill Klein

Bill Klein Member

I have a Sony NEX 5 camera that takes nice 3D photos in a Pan mode. I've been connecting the camera directly to the 3D TV (a Sony TV by the way) to view them in stereo. Does anyone know if the pictures can be edited and then shown on the 3D TV in stereo? Do I need to reload them in the camera or is there another way to get them into the TV and still be able to see them in stereo? I assume that I need to present an MPO file to the TV, is that right?

Bill Klein, Aug 17, 2011
  2. Bill Klein

Bill Klein Member

I've fiigured it out for myself but haven't figured out how to delete the thread.

Bill Klein, Aug 26, 2011
  3. Bill Klein

neilp New Member

Bill, would be great to hear the answer to your original question, what did you figure out? And how is the 3d on this camera? Any samples available online?

Thanks, Neil.

neilp, Aug 30, 2011
  4. Bill Klein

Bill Klein Member

Answers to my own questions.
    I have downloaded mpo files from my NEX 5 (and also from my FujiFilm W3) and edited them using “stphmkre”, loaded them back onto the NEX 5, and viewed them in stereo on my Sony 3D TV. I have kept the same camera file structure, i.e. DCIM – 100MSDCF(for example) – DSC000001.mpo, DSC000002.mpo(for example),…
    I use my NEX 5 to view the pictures on my TV because I have a remote for the NEX 5 and I can view a picture set without messing around with the camera. But I can (and have) used the W3 to view them on the TV. The cameras don’t seem tocare where the mpo files have originated, I have view mpo files sent to me on a CD and that have been emailed to me.
    The NEX 5 takes great stereo pictures given the limitation that the camera must be in pan mode and the subject must be still for about 5 seconds while the stereo image is captured. It won’t replace a 2-lens stereo camera like the W3 for all the types of stereo photography that I am interested in, but if you don’t have your stereo camera with you… The image quality of the NEX 5 is also superior to that of the W3 but I like the W3 just fine.
    I have not posted any mpo files nor have I seen any online, but I haven’t really looked.

Bill

Bill Klein, Aug 30, 2011
  5. Bill Klein

neilp New Member

Thanks Bill, Very interesting.

My Panasonic 3D tv has an SD card slot and I've viewed .mpos by loading them directly onto an SD card (or indeed a USB memory stick plugged in to the USB socket). The Panasonic plasma has a great 3D mode as there is minimal ghosting between the left and right images vs an LCD.

I've also created some MPOs from side by sides.

It sounds like the Sony camera effectively builds an MPO stereo image for you using a side by side technique but with a panning motion? I'm curious - how do you could the disparity or seperation between the two frames, are there any settings or does it just pick the distance for you?

Thanks!

Neil.

neilp, Sep 9, 2011
  6. Bill Klein

Bill Klein Member

The NEX camera builds stereo images by taking a series of images as the camera is panned from left to right (or optionally, right to left) . Because the NEX does not have a viewfinder, the camera motion is relatively large because it is being held out in front of the photographer who views the scene from the back of the camera. An mpo file is produced by the camera by stitching together a left and right stereo image pair. I don’t know how many separate images the camera takes during the camera motion, but I would guess at least six. If the camera is panned to fast or two slow, it produces an error message and no stereo pair is produced.
    Camera options, at least some of them, can be selected but the shooting mode is set to 3D panorama.

Bill Klein, Sep 10, 2011
Ask a Question