The 2D to 3D Conversion Rip Off

Discussion in '3D Movies' started by ChrisMohrSr, Oct 3, 2012.

1. ChrisMohrSr

ChrisMohrSr Member

3D CONVERSIONS ARE A SCAM AND A RIP OFF.
    If someone plans to make money from an ineffective imitation of something, they should be up front about it and inform the public that said public will be paying extra money under false pretenses.
    Common sense will tell you that a flat image can never be transformed into a three dimensional image because of the absence of parallax. Even if the attempt is partially successful through eyestrain producing procedures, your brain senses there is something amiss and the confusion produces discomfort.
    "The Avengers" is a case in point. Half the time I felt as if I were watching a 2D image. That's because I was. If you watch that film without the glasses you will see that, most of the time, the main character in the image is in 2D and the background is a double image that is supposed to fuse together when you are wearing the glasses, but most of the time does not. I am firmly convinced that 3D Conversion was dreamed up by someone with a grudge against 3D and they saw 3D Conversion as a way to destroy it. Most moviegoers don't know or care about technicalities. They just want to be entertained. When they get that eyestrain and brain confusion they get a bad taste in their mouth and just reject 3D out of hand. This is the 1950s all over again. Moviegoers rejected 3D at that time because of eyestrain and poor presentation. Poor projection practices due to inadeaquate projection equipment, that was never designed for 3D projection, was rushed into service when movie moguls saw a way to make a fast buck. Talk abour Deja Vu.
    My main objection to all of this is the fact that the moviegoing public is being kept in the dark about the truth about 3D Conversion. If you really want to enjoy 3D, stay away from those who proclaim to do something that really can't be done.

ChrisMohrSr, Oct 3, 2012
  2. ChrisMohrSr

mike Well-Known Member

Agree whole heartedly with every thing you say,i do watch dvds that my tv converts :( occasionally but thats different i know what ime watching and haven't been conned.

mike

mike, Oct 3, 2012
  3. ChrisMohrSr

eric stofer New Member

I think there is room for both in camera 3D and 2D conversion. One only has to look at the success that companies like Gener8 is having converting movies like the last 300 movie, Thor, Prometheus, etc. to see they are doing something right, but why not combine what in camera 3D does well with what 2D conversion does well to get a better product?

eric stofer, Apr 4, 2014
  4. ChrisMohrSr

Bombelkie Active Member

Now days the technology for converting 2D movies into 3D has gotten so good you can't even tell it was shot in 2D. Examples are Titanic, Jurassic Park, and not my favorite movie but good, very good conversion, didn't even know it was not shot in 3D, G.I. Joe Retaliation.

Bombelkie, Mar 9, 2015
  5. ChrisMohrSr

DCAL New Member

Manual conversions from 2D to 3D by Movie studios look ok if done well, but the automated 2D to 3D conversion done by software is usually beyond poor. There is no comparison.

DCAL, Apr 2, 2015
  6. ChrisMohrSr

Bombelkie Active Member

yes that is true. Would love to get my hands on the software the studios use.

Bombelkie, Sep 1, 2015
  7. ChrisMohrSr

alexi_drago Active Member

I went to see one of the pirahna movies, the 3D
    How much do the built in TV converters do? My TV doesnt convert and ive only seen it on another TV one other time and it looked like a flat image just on a different plane from the screen and possibly depth tilted slightly.
    I cant imagine an automated process doing much more than that, trying to automatically detect individual objects at different depths and adust accordingly in real time would regularly result in horrible errors

alexi_drago, Sep 1, 2015
  8. ChrisMohrSr

Barney Member

It is 2020 September'. I wish to say conversion from 2D to 3D is now for me fantastic especially with latest animation.
    I feel so sad that this all stopped in 2011 people miss out on the greater depth and detail enjoyment. TV sets are now scarce as hens teeth I was lucky to get a replacement one on EBay although expensive it was worth every penny. It is a Samsung 46 inch and has pride of place in my man cave.
    If anyone has has interest on the software I use it on a Mac,comenting on this forum and I will say what it is it is also free,no scam no gimmicks.

Barney, Sep 12, 2020
  9. ChrisMohrSr

Barney Member

So Sorry they have put a price on it but it is well worth it!

Barney, Sep 12, 2020
  10. ChrisMohrSr

Ian Administrator Staff Member

I'd be interested to know @Barney. Do they do a PC version do you know?

Ian, Sep 22, 2020
  11. ChrisMohrSr

Barney Member

The program is DVDFab I am not sure about a Pc version but for me it has been awesome.

Barney, Sep 22, 2020
  12. ChrisMohrSr

Barney Member

There is a PC program of DVDFab

Barney, Sep 23, 2020
    Ian likes this.
Ask a Question