Streaming 3D

Discussion in 'General 3D and Stereoscopic Discussion' started by Lyla Lykins, Apr 10, 2014.

?

What is your experience with streaming provider 3D content on your TV?

1. Not so good.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No problems.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Lyla Lykins

Lyla Lykins New Member

Hello from a new member with an LG smart 3D TV purchased in 2012 (manufactured in 2011). Learning that Netflix had been streaming 3D in Europe for some period of time, I was thrilled when Netflix started offering 3D content to US subscribers in January of this year. That is, until I tried to view it on my LG. The TV came preloaded with software interfaces for Netflix, Hudu, Amazon and Vudu. I've learned that these interface screens (according to LG tech support) aren't updated unless the provider sends updates to LG's firmware department for LG to mass distribute. Apparently that's something content providers don't appear financially motivated to do. My Netflix interface does not have a category for 3D selections although my neighbor's 3D TV purchased last month does. I called both LG and Netflix's first-line tech support (who wouldn't elevate my call higher up the knowledge chain) and at first they pointed the finger at each other. They tried to blame my internet speed, which clocks at about 11 Mbps. At one point I was on a 3 way call with LG and Netflix. Utlimately, their easy answer, which I can't quite buy into, is that my TV is too old, period -- refusing to respond to questions on what specific technical aspect of my ancient 2011 TV purchased a year ago is so irreparably inadequate.

Though I can't select from a 3D category in Netflix, I checked the offerings in that area on my neighbor's set and searched for the title on my interface. It was only offered in HD on my set but I selected the 3D mode on my remote anyway -- which the Netflix interface recognized. The result was interesting. I get a weak 3D rendering. I had a few other people view and offer input and they all agree there's a degree of 3D but it's not the robust viewing they are accustomed to on my TV (from Time Warner and DVDs). Any ideas on why that's the case?

I decided to try some of the other video content providers that have apps on my menu screen. Surprisingly, Vudu's streamed 3D looks great, telling me the internet speed or the age of my TV is not the problem. However, Vudu is not a subscriber service like Netflix -- I can only rent or buy content, almost all of which I can access cheaper on Time Warner's Movies on Demand. It would be nice if Vudu would offer more of my preferred 3D viewing content (travel and nature) at a cheaper rate than they rent first-run movies. Sadly, not the case. I contacted Vudu's tech support but they would only tell me that their 3D is "different" than Netflix, but no specifics. Any ideas how it's different?

Hulu responded that they did not offer streamed 3D. What??? So, over to Amazon, which does. Their ordering screen merely said I needed a 3D TV, check. Still, as a test, I ordered the cheapest movie offered and fired up. Well, with Amazon's interface I can see the 3D offerings and opt to buy/rent, but cannot view it -- my remote signal is not recognized. I'm directed to select "side by side" but after spending an hour trying to figure out how to do that without the cooperation of the remote I gave up and went to Amazon's online chat. I have to say, the chat support person from Amazon was the most cooperative. He had no idea what the problem was after coordinating with his tech co workers but came to the conclusion that I would not be able to view any of Amazon's 3D content and offered to refund my purchase. I suggested he might want to put a disclaimer on their ordering screen that states only "a 3D TV is required" -- to avoid frustrating others who waste time and money trying to figure out how to view a purchase that is not viewable on their 3D TV. He said he would. Should I believe him?

Interestingly, one of the techies I spoke to (forget which one now), dissed 3D. I guess you either love it or hate it. He said it hasn't taken off as well in the US as hoped and besides, it leads movie makers to focus on the graphics rather than other content. Well EXCUSE me! First of all, how are 3D fans supposed to access affordable content to watch? Not many can afford the fees of Time Warner or Direct TV. Video stores for affordable rental are all but gone and not everyone wants to purchase an expensive movie they may never re-watch. Netflix 3D was the answer -- and it's being denied to thousands across the country who purchased their TV prior to 2012.

I'd appreciate your feedback and own experiences along these lines. Thanks!

Lyla Lykins, Apr 10, 2014
Ask a Question