Star Wars Phantom Menace Converted

Discussion in 'News' started by 3Dfocus, Mar 30, 2011.

1. 3Dfocus

3Dfocus Member

It was announced today that Prime Focus, the company responsible for converting Clash of the Titans and Narnia, have finished converting the first Star Wars film.

George Lucas is said to be happy with the results and a release date for the title has been confirmed as Feb 10th 2012. Conversions of the other two original Star Wars films are on- going.

Conversion is still controversial but many modern 3D films are now filmed in 2D with later conversion in mind. (unlike Clash which was a film shot as a 2D film with a 3D conversion applied as an afterthought). Piranha 3D, Alice and Narnia were all converted and the new Clash film - Wrath of the Titans, will also be converted.

Read the full story here -

http://www.3dfocus.co.uk/3d-news-2/...-menace-3d-conversion-success-says-lucas/2825

3Dfocus, Mar 30, 2011
  2. 3Dfocus

Ian Administrator Staff Member

I'm looking forward to seeing Star Wars in 3D, mainly just to watch those battle scenes! I could easily miss the 1st one though (Jar Jar Binks.... eugh!).

I've seen a few converted movies (including a couple of those you mentioned) and the results were decent enough. I wonder what the reason for not using stereoscopic cameras is? I guess Piranha 3D was always supposed to be a stereo movie, so post processing it in to 3D seems strange?

Ian, Mar 31, 2011
Ask a Question