Split screen on my Sky HD 3d channel

Discussion in '3D TVs' started by jadelauren, Sep 26, 2010.

1. jadelauren

jadelauren New Member

I have just upgraded to the Sky HD channel so I can watch the 3d programmes. I have a Samsung 3d TV however the programmes on the Sky 3d channel is showing in split screen at the moment. I have two identical screens on the TV. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Many Thanks

jadelauren, Sep 26, 2010
  2. jadelauren

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Hi and welcome to the forums :). Which model Samsung TV do you have, as it should normally auto-detect the stereo mode and display the image in 3D mode.

Ian, Sep 27, 2010
  3. jadelauren

jadelauren New Member

Hi, Ian and thank you for your reply. I have a Samsung PS50B450.

jadelauren, Sep 28, 2010
  4. jadelauren

From what I can tell, that TV only supports "checkerboard" 3D (assuming it's the same as the PN50B450 USA model).

As far as I know, Sky 3D only broadcase in side-by-side, so you'd need a converter to get it working in 3D mode :(

Perhaps someone else here can confirm this for you.

Ian, Sep 28, 2010
  5. jadelauren

jadelauren New Member

Ian, what does the 3d checkerboard mean? I can watch preview programmes that came with the blueray player through 3d however it is the sky 3d channel I am having the split screen.

If I switch on the blueray player I can then go into 3d mode however it does not change the sky 3d issue. Do I need to change anything through sky?

If I need a converter what does this do? how much are they? and where do I get one from?

jadelauren, Sep 29, 2010
  6. jadelauren

Basically, there several different formats which TV's can convert to stereo images - two of which are checkerboard and side-by-side methods. It looks like Sky 3D is broadcasting in side-by-side, but your TV can only display checkerboard 3D information. I had a look at the manual and it doesn't look like you can change the 3D format, but a future firmware update may change this.

It may be worth giving Sky a call, as they'll have tech guys trained on the current state - and they may be able to advise on a solution.

Ian, Oct 5, 2010
  7. jadelauren

Fradge Member

Hi jadelauren my friend has just bought a samsung 3dtv and i checked out the 3d settings on it.If you use your tv remote and go into the tv settings not your sky settings and scroll down to the 3d settings you need to change the 3d setting to side by side and then sky will work in 3d. I had to do the same thing on my panasonic tv. if you dont know how to change the settings on your tv check out the manual you should have got with the tv it should show you.hope this helps.

Fradge, Nov 3, 2010
  8. jadelauren

Lotus Eater New Member

I also have a Samsung TV and have just upgraded to Sky's 3D channel. Having seen the split-screen I googled the problem rather than ring Sky back on their 0844 number and have now rectified the problem thanks to all the information I found on this thread.

You simply go into menu and scroll down to 'picture' and press 'ok' (incidentally, the 'OK' button is the one in the middle of the navigation arrows with the picture of a screen and a curved arrow through it- the button doesn't actually say 'OK').

This brings you to the picture settings menu. Scroll down to 3D and press 'ok' again and then scroll across to the middle icon so that the TV recognises that the 3D image is in split screen. That's it. The split screen on Sky now shows as a 3D image - with your 3D glasses on of course :)

Thanks again everybody. Much quicker and cheaper than phoning Sky!

Lotus Eater, Nov 3, 2011
Ask a Question