Sony Alpha 3D Camera

Discussion in '3D Cameras' started by Ian, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

I've not heard much about the Sony Alpha 3D Camera, so I've posted this snippet of information I found in case others are interested in it:

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/24234/sony-3d-camera/

Is anyone planning on getting one of these?

Ian, Jan 28, 2010
  2. Ian

Bill Klein Member

I have a NEX-5. Produces great images that I can view on a 3D TV or in side by side mode. Camera produces MPO and JPEG files. 3D images are produced wille panning from left to right. Process takes about 5 seconds so the subject must be still.

Bill Klein, Aug 9, 2011
  3. Ian

Bill Klein Member

No. The camera I have and was talking about id the Sony NEX 5. I think the NEX 3 will also do stereo but I'm not positive the NEX 3 will.

Bill Klein, Aug 12, 2011
  4. Ian

Bill Klein Member

The camera is great. It is really compact, offers array of lenses, and takes as good a picture as any camera I've ever had. I've had a bunch of SLR cameras over the years and have a Nicon D5000 but the D5000 has sat in the closet ever since I got the NEX 5. The NEX 5 also takes great video. Now my HD video camera sits next to my Nicon in the closet.

Sony has upgraded the camera with free firmware upgrades that can be downloaded. I just upgraded to version 4 firmware.

I think that the stereo feature on the camera was in one of the earlier firmware upgrades.

The NEX 5 probably won't replace any of your existing stereo cameras because it has to be panned for stereo resulting in a "long" exposure time, but the stereo pictures I have taken with the camera have worked out great so far.

The camera's not cheap, but I highly recommend it.

Bill Klein, Aug 15, 2011
  5. Ian

Bill Klein Member

I probably will sell them at some point. I need the Nicon because I have a nice telephoto lens for it and I don't have one for the NEX 5 yet. The tele lens for the Sony is pretty expensive. I also miss the viewfinder that I have on the Nicon and not on the Sony.

Bill Klein, Aug 16, 2011
Ask a Question