screen size matters for inter ocular distance between the 2 camera's?

Discussion in 'General 3D and Stereoscopic Discussion' started by Hans Castrop, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Hans Castrop

Hans Castrop New Member

I was wondering if this is really true; it it often said that screen size matters when dealing with stereoscopic 3D. but with larger screens like cinema you just take more distance from screen. Can anyone give an explaination about this? Thanks, Hans.

Hans Castrop, Oct 14, 2016
  2. Hans Castrop

alexi_drago Active Member

consider looking at a very distant real object, no matter how far away it is your eyes will always converge to some extent, maybe get close to parallel with very distant objects but certainly never diverge.
    Now say you film an object and when played back on a 3D TV the object is separated by an inch between the left and right images so that the object is beyond the screen, if that was displayed through a projector onto a much larger screen then the distance between the object on left and right could easily excede the distance between your eyes, so your eyes would have to diverge to line the images up in your vision, which would be bad.

alexi_drago, Jan 21, 2020
  3. Hans Castrop

Erik Schoolcraft Member

Never really thought about this one. My 3-D television isn't the largest so you have to be pretty close to get the full effect. My projector throws a 6Ft wide screen so anywhere in my home gives you great in your face effects and distance that is incredible at most viewing distances. I can see if you are too far away from the screen the images diminishing but I haven't experimented with it. In our local theater I always try to sit pretty center and mid distance from the screen but our screens are huge and the effect is amazing.
    I have to mention that for the home market, content is important. I have seen discs released that didn't assemble the image correctly which causes the 3-D to either not work or confuse the eyes. Even going back to anaglyph there have been good and bad releases. I posted recently on the indepent release of Parasite which had to be taken from an over-under faded 35mm transfer. Most of the film worked but some of it was mis-aligned and didn't work well in MVC. (BR-3-D)
    Overall I'd say 3-D is best shown on the biggest screen possible depending on the viewing distance and angle of viewing. Also your viewing area. If you are in a small place then use a small area. If you are in a theater then a huge screen should work.
    This is only my experience and opinion.

Erik Schoolcraft, Jan 21, 2020
Ask a Question