Problem with side by side MKV files

Discussion in 'General 3D and Stereoscopic Discussion' started by Box Jockey, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Box Jockey

Box Jockey New Member

This is the setup:

LG 60PZ750
    New PC with Radeon HD6970 GPU

I have watched a couple 3d blu-rays using my internal blu-ray drive and PowerDVD and they work fine. My issue is with side by side MKV files. If I play them in VLC media player and set my TV to SBS 3D, the overlap of the images is over 3" which is completely unwatchable. When the TV is set to SBS manually, the depth controls are grayed out.

I then tried watching them through PowerDVD and it was much better but still has issues. Objects that are extremely close or far have a large overlap creating intense ghosting. In addition as soon as PowerDVD detects that it is 3D content, it re-sizes the display so my entire desktop does not use all of the screen. If I adjust this within the AMD catalyst menu it just makes the ghosting worse. Has anyone encountered any of these issues? This is driving me crazy!!!

Here is a pic of what it looks like in VLC with the TV set manually to SBS. Note the HUGE overlap.

[​IMG]

Box Jockey, Jan 13, 2012
  2. Box Jockey

nicooke New Member

I've recently got a 3d tv working with SBS and an ATI card.

Catalyst will change the amount of over or underscan per resolution - ie it saves the last figure used for each resolution.

By turning the underscan off, you may miss a little edge picture but then the two halves of the image will be appropriately placed for the TV to stretch them properly into the 3d image.

nicooke, Feb 1, 2012
  3. Box Jockey

Box Jockey New Member

Thank you for the reply! Are you talking about the scaling options under "my digital flat panels" in the catalyst control center? If so, the slider is at the default, I have never moved it, should it be elsewhere? Also did you have to make any adjustments with your card for SBS or did it just work? This crap is driving me crazy!!!

Box Jockey, Feb 9, 2012
  4. Box Jockey

tuareg Member

Hi !! I guess I have a related problem. I just setup an LG 32LW5570 3D today to use as a primary monitor plus watch some 3D, while mounting the older 24" Asus monitor in portrait mode for pdf reading etcetrera. I have an older graphic card ATI Radeon HD 2600XT Diamond 512mb DDR4. All SBS clips including an LG Demo as well as some IMAX movies work fine using the full desktop from a USB flash drive or USB HDD plugged in direct to the TV. When the same are played from the PC drive through Media Portal, Media Player Classic or anything and 3D activated on the TV, I get the same overlap as you have. Putting on the glasses, you see a good 3D picture without any artifacts but on a smaller desktop. The slider for scaling options is at default. The 3D depth menu in my case is always grayed out (maybe a feature of the 32" model). I was planning to go in for an HD6850 thinking that would solve it, but since you have the same hassle even with an HD6970, I guess the answer lies elsewhere. I hope we find an answer. I shall also try connecting a high speed HDMI cable from the card to HDMI input 1 on the TV which is specification 1.4 but do not hope for success through that.

tuareg, Feb 11, 2012
  5. Box Jockey

tuareg Member

Connected High Speed HDMI cable to Input 1 but problem above still remains as before. When you play a 3d media file without 3d on, it plays SBS in full screen. Immediately you put on the 3d mode almost a 2 inches overlap and ghosting effect occurs. The picture still fills the screen. Now put on the 3D glasses. The picture plays fine but in a much smaller size. Any help would be appreciated.

tuareg, Feb 12, 2012
  6. Box Jockey

tuareg Member

Solved to a major extent today

tuareg, Feb 13, 2012
    Ian likes this.
  7. Box Jockey

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for reporting back tuareg - glad you've made some progress :). How did you fix it out of interest?

Ian, Feb 13, 2012
  8. Box Jockey

tuareg Member

It was experiment, luck and most information from the net from IZ3D whom I thank for this. LG support here in India could not provide any answer. I summarize the procedure below for what it is worth. In my case I am now playing 3D SBS, over under, 2D to 3D in full screen from the PC with a three year old ATI Graphic card Radeon HD 2600 XT. Had no need for the newer models which was very lucky economically.
    1. Connected the LG 32LW5700 (passive 3D) for the first time to the internet through LAN cable. Restared the TV after ensuring connexion and it reported an LG update. Took a long time for the download but apparently this updated the firmware which was earlier 4.01.29 to 4.03.
    2. Confirm TV/Graphic card is set to its native resolution.
    3. Change the Aspect Ratio on TV to Just Scan.
    4. In the TV's input menu, label the input to which computer is connected (in my case it is HDMI 2) to PC. This is done using the Input label menu of the TV. This will set this input to 16:9 which apparently works properly only in PC mode. You will have black bars appearing on all four sides.
    5. In Scaling option in the Catalyst Control Centre, move the slider all the way to the right setting overscan to 0 and apply. The black bars disappeared and the desktop was perfect.
    6. Apparently if this is not set properly then there are problems with 3D in passive interleave mode which works only after pixel perfect alignment with the FPR layer of the TV.
    7. Set picture mode in TV settings to standard. Chose picture wizard and changed settings to:
    Backlight 80, Contrast 100, Brightness 50, Sharpness 36, Color 60 and LED Local Dimming off.

All media players ( MP Classic Home Cinema, Media Center Windows 7, Media Portal) capable of playing the 3D videos are now playing in the native aspect of the file perfectly with a full desktop.

Would be very glad to know if the above helps someone else.

tuareg, Feb 14, 2012
    daley, Box Jockey and Ian like this.
  9. Box Jockey

john New Member

a HUGE thank you to tuareg
    i had to download the new Catalyst Control Center and drivers to get the scaling option, but thats what did it
    you the man!

john, Mar 4, 2012
  10. Box Jockey

Box Jockey New Member

I had stopped receiving emails so I thought the thread was dead. tuareg, you are my friggin hero!!!! Your steps totally worked for me. I still have some faint ghosting with objects that are at extreme distance but I am guessing I just need to fine tune some settings. Should probably make sure my glasses are fully charged too! I had almost written this off and never watched 3D, thanks so much!!!

Box Jockey, Apr 22, 2012
  11. Box Jockey

Juan Camilo Yanquen New Member

thanks @tuareg your solutions works perfect for me

Juan Camilo Yanquen, Jun 5, 2012
  12. Box Jockey

tuareg Member

It is a pleasure to know that this did help some folks.

tuareg, Jun 6, 2012
  13. Box Jockey

BrNoMen New Member

HOLY cow man. I just wanted to sign up to thank you. I've been looking for a solution for this problem for around 3 or 4 days, because I didnt want to use powerdvd because of the subtitles, and just tried a lot of stuffs that didnt work.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH

BrNoMen, Oct 14, 2012
  14. Box Jockey

daley New Member

Thank you! This helped me a sh*t load. The overlap on my mob file's was rendering them near unreachable until I came across your post.

Me and the Mrs are forever in your debt

daley, Apr 10, 2014
  15. Box Jockey

tuareg Member

I am glad that my post has helped some folks to get over the problem. This solution is now two years old and I still use it since none better has been found to date for passive/FPR 3D TV's

tuareg, Apr 11, 2014
Ask a Question