Opinions on passive vs active?

Discussion in '3D TVs' started by alexi_drago, Sep 1, 2015.

1. alexi_drago

alexi_drago Active Member

Earlier this year I bought a 42" passive 3D Sony TV, I didn't even try out the active TVs and I've still never seen anything on one. I find that I'm quite sensitive to flickering lighting, even when it's not really apparent, lighting in supermarkets and hospitals makes me feel dizzy or light headed in some way and I lose concentration and I thought that might be a risk with active 3D too and that trying out a demo for a couple of minutes in a shop would not necessarily be indicative of how I might feel over the length of a movie.
    I'm very happy with the TV that I got and have no real issues with how well it works, if I'm sitting up straight I get a little ghosting from my eyeline being a bit higher than the centre of the screen but the horizontal viewing angle is fairly wide so I can relax in various positions with no problems, the other thing is the reduced resolution which I don't really notice too much but might be more apparent in a direct side by side comparison.

Has anyone with a similar sensitivity tried or bought an active 3D TV, how did you find it? Or any other issues with one or the other that anyone's noticed?

alexi_drago, Sep 1, 2015
  2. alexi_drago

Erik Schoolcraft Member

If you are sensitive to flickering then I'd stay away from active displays Alexi. Most of my family are doctors and nurses and have seen several problems with seizures caused by flickering lights. Granted the projector I use is active but I'm thankfully not sensitive to it. Over a period of a cople hours of using active glasses they can cause a bad seizure event even in people not normally affected by it.

Sometimes when I start up my projector and glasses they flicker at a rate of 60hrz until they sync which is the same rate as flourescent lighting. Once it syncs it moves to 120hrz which affects fewer users. There are people who can be affected by it though so you should check with your doctor to see if you are at risk by using a flicker system.

As far as a passive system I totally agree with you on evey level. I have a passive telivision that looks incredible but you have to look at it straight or slighty to the side. Too much movement up or down from the screen ruins the image.

I know this post comes late from your initial post but I hope it helps.

Erik Schoolcraft, Nov 28, 2019
Ask a Question