New type of autostereoscopic multiview display with no resolution loss in 3D

Discussion in 'News' started by JBEatDTI, May 12, 2011.

1. JBEatDTI

JBEatDTI New Member

The DTI team is launching the first step toward the world’s first dynamically switchable High Definition 2D / High Definition 8-View Autostereoscopic 3D Television.

Our unique approach to autostereoscopic 3D involves using backlighting behind an LCD:

a .Recovers full resolution in 3D;
    b. Is able to eliminate color fringing;
    c. Does not block light;
    d. Eliminates Moirés;
    e. Eliminates “sweet spots”;
    f. Maintains perfect 2D;
    g. Eliminates sources of tension & headache;
    h. Allows picture in picture 3D windowing in 2D background; and
    i. Does all this in full HD.

Other multiview displays degrade the resolution of the 3D image by an amount equal to the number of perspective views that they generate. For example a typical eight view 3D advertising display will produce resolution equal to only 1/8th that of the LCD that is used.

This technology is available now for licensing. Our intention is to license this new technology to monitor and TV manufacturers. Please contact Mike Casciano at [email protected] or Arnie Lagergren via email at [email protected] if you want more information or would like to schedule a demonstration. Technology questions should be directed to Jesse Eichenlaub at [email protected].

JBEatDTI, May 12, 2011
  2. JBEatDTI

5Deck.com Member

Oh, very cool! Do you have any demos on a website or youtube or anything? I'm very interested in new things like this, especially if they use more than two images to generate a 3D effect (since the book I wrote is based around multi-view displays). Is it alright if I ask a few questions given that you actually have successfully produced a technology:

1. If you have 8-views at once, meaning 8 unique perspective images, doesn't 3D still require being able to see two of those images at once, meaning that a 3D sweet spot would still occur at the boundary angle between any two adjacent images (but of course there would still be a complete image for the other spots)?

2. Do you have any comparative ideas for how this works relative to the "Holovizio" at Holografika.com. I wrote a article on my website (5Deck.com) that follows up the book I wrote and makes a number of guesses on how it works (since it seems to use continuous horizontal parallax--though I'd have to see it in real life to find out if it's not just stepped smoothly enough to not be apparent on video). Still, I feel like you might have a better idea and maybe a comparison?

Thanks! Once again, very cool, I'm excited to hear more about the technology!

5Deck.com, May 24, 2011
  3. JBEatDTI

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Very interesting - is this built in to any existing products? I'd also be interested to know a little more in relation to 5Decks's questions :).

Welcome to the forums, it's good to have someone from DTI on here.

Ian, Jun 1, 2011
Ask a Question