KMQ Dual Image Viewing

Discussion in 'General 3D and Stereoscopic Discussion' started by Gleneagles, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Gleneagles

Gleneagles Member

I'm new here!

I've been involved with 3-D photography for many years, starting out with my father's old Stereo Realist camera. I'm scanning hundreds of old Kodachrome slides now, for viewing on a monitor.

Some of my stuff has been uploaded to Youtube in the anaglyph (red/cyan glasses) format, but I prefer to watch two images in parallel, using prism glasses. With those, there's no color distortion. You can also watch videos this way, and it's way cheaper than lenticular systems using shutter glasses.

I've become aware of a format developed in the 1980s in Germany called KMQ (after the initials of the developers). I'm in contact with a German software designer and experimenter who films with twin HD video cameras and uploads to Vimeo (much better support there than from Youtube).

The trick with KMQ is what is called "over-under" presentation. Instead of side-by-side images, they are "stacked", right view above the other. It allows much better presentation of images in wide-screen formats.

Anyone else out there who is familiar with KMQ?

Gleneagles, Dec 29, 2010
  2. Gleneagles

billqs New Member

Sounds fascinating! I'm brand new here. I was looking for a possible computer solution for my projection room/man cave that was inexpensive and could provide a 3D Experience "on the cheap". I went to the Berezin site you mentioned in another post and it was very interesting!

Haven't heard of KMQ, but isn't one of the 3D Blu-ray systems based on "over-under"?

billqs, Dec 29, 2010
  3. Gleneagles

Gleneagles Member

billqs: I think one of the Blu-ray systems might be "over-under"; I'll need to check. I'm also brand new here!

Gleneagles, Dec 30, 2010
  4. Gleneagles

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum, Gleneagles :)

I'm not familiar with KMQ, although I'd interested in seeing how over-under presentation works - so I'll keep my eye out for this on my travels!

Ian, Jan 4, 2011
Ask a Question