Just won a nice set up.... one problem

Discussion in 'General 3D and Stereoscopic Discussion' started by garyanddebbie, Apr 15, 2011.

1. garyanddebbie

garyanddebbie New Member

I just recently recieved a grand prize winning from work. I recieved a 2011 Samsung 59" 3d plasma 7000 series, Samsung 5.1 home theatre system with blu ray player as the reciever, and then a seperate 3d blu ray player. Whoever put this prize together was obviously not thinking. I was wondering what the best way would be to set this up so that i could run the speakers while watching through the 3d blu ray player. Either way I am going to have 2 blu ray players sitting in my entertainment center. (seems like such a waste.) Should i just spider web a bunch of HDMI cables and mess with the settings? Or is there a better way to set it all up with optical audio cables? Any feedback would be helpful, thank you for taking a look!

garyanddebbie, Apr 15, 2011
  2. garyanddebbie

5Deck.com Member

Congrats on winning! I would look at the reciever the system comes with and see exactly how many spots you have for optical audio. My audio reciever is old and only had one optical audio slot, so I used it for my PS3 because I like music on games. In your case, the receiver is probably a lot newer so I would hookup the optical audio in every case possible along with the HDMI (although it carries an audio signal, you should be able to choose the optical input seperately). The optical audio will go to the reciever and out to the speakers and the HDMI will go to the reciever and out through another HDMI to the monitor. All you need then is a controller setup. I have a logitech controller that's very nice. You can program in one setup like "Cable" that will set the proper tuner on your television and reciever so you can use the optical audio and HDMI video seperately. On top of that if you map all the basic functions of you other controllers you can just have one controller.

I hope that is helpful. I'm no home system expert, but I got the basics down when I was forced to set up my own, lol.

5Deck.com, Apr 15, 2011
  3. garyanddebbie

coach Member

Grats!!! And good luck!

coach, Apr 15, 2011
  4. garyanddebbie

garyanddebbie New Member

Thank you for the information. The tv is now mounted and looks real nice. Turns out work is now going to exchange the garbage surround system for a nice new 7.1 system. Problem solved!

garyanddebbie, Apr 17, 2011
Ask a Question