Is that it? Is 3-D gone for now?

Discussion in '3D Movies' started by Erik Schoolcraft, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Erik Schoolcraft

Erik Schoolcraft Member

Exaxctly as the title asks. I got kicked off another forum for announcing that the 3-d format had been abandandoned a few years ago in my local market and trolls threw a hissy fit. Since then I was given a passive 3-D television by the manufaturer and scraped to find a projector capable of 3-d projection in every format. Have collected almost 100 3-D blu-rays right now and am still finding them from overseas but here in the American market the format seems to be gone. The trolls screamed that I personally hate 3-D movies when in reallity I have the largest collection of 3-D films on DVD, BR, Film, and even Laserdisc.
    I have however noticed that some films prior to release locally were advertiesed in 3-D for their release but no longer are. Also the local cinema has stopped showing films in 3-D.
    My question is this, is it over for now?

Erik Schoolcraft, Jan 14, 2020
  2. Erik Schoolcraft

Nima New Member

3D isn't dead yet, it's just moved on from what it looked like 10 years ago.

Stereoscopic 3D is now experienced through VR & AR headsets, autostereoscopic devices, and lightfield displays. There were a variety of autostereoscopic and lightfield displays at CES this year. Check out Mopic for a simple and easy solution. Get a Valve Index for the highest-end 3D movie viewing experience in a VR headset, with high resolution and incredible comfort. Or take a look at Leia's lightfield devices like RED Hydrogen One. All of the above play 3D SBS content so all your legacy content works easily!

3D Blu-Ray does seem to be slowly dying though, but there are still a few releases on the way.

Nima, Apr 22, 2020
  3. Erik Schoolcraft

A4K New Member

It's sad that 3D is gone in the US in favour of 4K. It makes no sense. I would rather watch a movie in 3D than in 4K. 3D is totally immersive if it is done well and given the proper contrast treatment on blu-ray.

I really can't believe only Germany released Gemini Man in 3D. I've watched it in the cinema. This movie has to be watched in 3D. I have ordered the disc from Amazon.de.

Similarly I was flabbergasted that Korea didn't release 3D for Frozen II. I bought it anyway because I wanted it to go with my Frozen slipbox and steelbook. But that will be the last time. I'm not going to buy any more releases that don't include 3D disc for a movie that has 3D.

A4K, Nov 24, 2020
  4. Erik Schoolcraft

Barney Member

I agree 3D movie viewing is amazing , I constantly convert my 2D to active 3D and fully experience the effect. Animation is so real these days and converts perfectly.

Barney, Nov 27, 2020
    A4K likes this.
Ask a Question