In search of 3D camera for scientific experiments

Discussion in '3D Cameras' started by SunOz, Mar 4, 2014.

1. SunOz

SunOz New Member

Hello all:
    I am a PhD student planning on doing perception experiments with a 3D camera whose photos will be displayed on an Asus VG236H 3D monitor using the NVidia 3D Vision Kit. After looking for 3D cameras, I realized in the consumer market the best option recommended is the Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3. However, I was wondering if the camera's accuracy and precision would be good enough for performing perceptual experiments. Would you recommend installing stereoscopic lenses on DSL cameras instead? Also, would you happen to know if the lenses on these cameras are converged or parallel and whether it affects the resulting image or not?
    Many thanks.

SunOz, Mar 4, 2014
    Robert Rig likes this.
  2. SunOz

Robert Rig New Member

Hi SunOz,

I've shot with the W3 before and the camera is very limited both in resolution and in control. White balance, exposure, etc have limited settings and they reset each time you start and stop the camera - very frustrating. I'm a filmmaker and it was partially out of my frustration with the W3 that I built my first beamsplitter rig.

I now produce the 'Robert Rig' commercially. It's a great little system designed for people new to 3D that are looking for great results. It allows you full control of all of the parameters for 3D as well as the ability to use whichever cameras you desire. There are several advantages to this system over a Fuji FinePix or similar. You will have significantly increased resolution plus the ability to change the inter-ocular distance, focal length of the cameras, convergence etc.

The system is easy to use and we have also created a set of 3D tutorials to get people started. Love to talk more about what your looking to accomplish. Our goal as a company is to help people take their first steps in to 3D.

http://www.goatandyeti.com/#!robert-rig/co9h
    [email protected]

Attached Files:

Robert Rig, May 29, 2014
Ask a Question