How to see Field Sequential on new equipment

Discussion in 'General 3D and Stereoscopic Discussion' started by Erik Schoolcraft, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Erik Schoolcraft

Erik Schoolcraft Member

Saw a post on older FS DVD's that didn't work with modern equiptment so looked into it since my projector supports it but my television doesn't. Have a huge collection of FS DVD's and wondered myself why they didn't work on my projector which does support the format with active 3D glasses. Here is the answer, after speaking with someone from Infocus they told me that my projector and other equipment that still supports FS needs to have an input supporting the format. Either an older DVD player with RCA or SVHS outputs. The ouput of the playback device cannot excede 480i. The image has to be interlaced and only running at 60 hrz for the output device to be able to sync the image to the projector or television. Heavy flicker and really reduced image quality should be expected but tested the theory tonight and it works.

Erik Schoolcraft, Dec 1, 2019
  2. Erik Schoolcraft

GeoCAMD3D New Member

Hi again

I have a design for a Full Frame Field Sequential lens
    that can be used on film or digital cameras.

A lot of interesting technical things happen with
    creating 3-D images

GeoCAMD3D, Dec 24, 2019
  3. Erik Schoolcraft

3D kandao vr New Member

What I don't think is related to the projector, it should be that the TV configuration is not up to standard.

3D kandao vr, Jan 6, 2020
  4. Erik Schoolcraft

Erik Schoolcraft Member

Um no. The modern equiptment both television and projection need to handle the old Field Sequentinal signal. It is transferred in the 60hrz signal. This is only available in 480interlaced and not in Progressive. It is an older standard which isn't recognized by most modern equiptement. Most modern displays look for an HD signal with both images being in MVC format. FS as I've ecxperienced it is very low quality and has been around since the 1990's. An interlaced image running at 60hrz at best and very flickery but still works on some equiptment with tthe right playback. The source material and playback method are what is important. If you upgrade an older FS DVD to 1080P or I then you lose the effect since the syncing signal is still at 30 or 60hrz and the playback equiptment nowawadays is usually at 120hrz.

Erik Schoolcraft, Jan 8, 2020
  5. Erik Schoolcraft

My3dviews New Member

I can view field sequential DVDs on my 4K passive 3dTV. I play them through my computer using sView movie player. My computer's resolution is set to 3840 x 2160. If your TV is 1080p, then set to that resolution. First download sView. Once installed, put DVD in drive. Run sView, select "change device" then click on "interlaced ED" for passive 3dTVs. It also allows you to select "shutter glasses", but I have not tried that method as my TV is passive. I do have a Sony playstation 3d monitor, that I could try some day, but as of yet haven't done that.
    To start movie, select Media in upper left corner, then - Open Movie...From one file. Find your DVD drive in "This PC" open file then select VTS_01_01 That will start the first chapter of the movie.
    The video quality varies a fair with each DVD. But of course it is standard definition 3d. Some disks are also very glitchy and hard to watch. But that may be due to my DVD drives ability to play these very old disks. Some of which are DVD-Rs. One good thing about using sView is that it allows you to set the depth as well as the vertical alignment. As some of these DVDs are out of alignment and are hard to watch without adjustment. You can also reverse the left and right images in case they are backwards.

My3dviews, Jan 17, 2022
    Technition-Ted likes this.
  6. Erik Schoolcraft

retrotech New Member

I have a CRT and field sequential 3D player with shutter glasses. I'm wondering what's in your collection of FS DVDs and also if you'd be interested in selling or sharing rips of some of them. I enjoy watching them in their original format on original hardware for the experience of the older obsolete technology.

retrotech, Sep 22, 2022
    Technition-Ted likes this.
Ask a Question