Head Mounted Display

Discussion in '3D TVs' started by squirt99801, Aug 14, 2012.

1. squirt99801

squirt99801 New Member

Hello, maybe this is the wrong forum or topic but I came to this place looking for discussion and review of stereoscopic head mounted displays. Without spamming any companies in particular I would mention I just bought a set and am looking foreward to its use but with trepidation wanted others input on working PC-setups, particularly if dual graphics cards are used.

Thanks.

squirt99801, Aug 14, 2012
  2. squirt99801

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Welcome aboard :). Which headset did you go for?

I'd be interested to learn a little bit more about your setup.

Ian, Aug 19, 2012
  3. squirt99801

squirt99801 New Member

Well, like many I have held fascination with tech, but often hold back for lack of funds/experience/history. For over a year I have been following a companies development (siliconmicrodisplays) for something called the st1080. \i never meant to come here and spam a product, but recently noticed they were taking not pre-orders, but 'delivering' when 'bought now' (reality = told to wait 6 weeks on waiting list for delivery - then a Quality Assurance issue put all deliveries back 2 more weeks... this means I will finally expect recieving my HD HMD within a week or two.

I thought I saw someone suggest I look for information from an Augmented Reality Glasses Developers forum to talk more, but this is not *that*... The short description is; one HD resolution screen in front of each eye, in glasses put over the head. At a price comparable to a new big screen, this seemed a 'cool' way for me to get in on 3D cheaply, and in a 'headphone' manner where I am not consuming the bigscreen space & energy, but can basically play 3d movies/games from a backpack carried 'setup...

Since I have only bought one HDMI output graphics card in my life, I want to create one of them HTPC's, but have it drive the st1080 HMD when plugged in, if not wanting to use a screen/monitor. Thanks for your time, consideration, and maybe someone out there will take this word of mouth to pocket and 'buy now' such an idea too. ;) There is a customer forum run by SMD, but I do not want to centrally talk their display product - but experienced discussion of 3d-capable assembled home theature personal computer. :)

squirt99801, Aug 21, 2012
  4. squirt99801

Ian Administrator Staff Member

That's a really interesting little HMD - I've not seen that before. I hope it makes it to the UK, as I'd like to give one of those a try sometime.

Please do post back once it arrives as it would be great to hear your thoughts on it!

Ian, Aug 22, 2012
  5. squirt99801

squirt99801 New Member

Hehe, yes I do hope they are cool enough to eventually have a demo pair in many retail outlets, and I'm still anxious enough I doubt I'll ever let anyone else touch my pair. I will return to share my experience, and whether I am satisfied in which ways, as a 'bought sight unseen' because I 'believe the hype'-type of buyer. I know bleeding edge tech. has many types of casualties and am sure this is not the next 'be all end all' as much as a 'good fun for a few years' type of toy/tool.

squirt99801, Aug 22, 2012
Ask a Question