Fujifilm Finepix Real 3D W3 Review

Discussion in '3D Cameras' started by greg.harp, Nov 30, 2010.

1. greg.harp

greg.harp New Member

I'm looking at getting a 3D camera sometime in the near future, and the Fujifilm Finepix Real 3D W3 comes high on my wishlist.

Has anyone here got one of these? I'd be really grateful to read more about this camera from an owner :).

-Greg

greg.harp, Nov 30, 2010
  2. greg.harp

podgypig Active Member

the camera is pretty decent, 5 mp, good autostereo glasses free screen on the back. Its fixed interaxial so if you want to control 3d in every shot, you're out of luck. For its price, its a good package though, and it will work with every 3d tv out there.

podgypig, Feb 6, 2011
  3. greg.harp

kenny_wy_chow New Member

The W3 is very good. I highly recommend you buy one if you really like 3D photo taking. I bought one 3 months ago, in HK. Then 2 friends in China asked me to buy for them. Then my boss (from Boston) toke the one I had, and I bought a new one. So I bought 4 in total.

This camera has very user friendly 3D effect functions:
    1. In standard 3D photo mode, when shooting, the convergence is automatically locked with the the focus when you half press the button, like any digital camera, and you can immediately see the convergence effect on the preview LCD screen
    2. For photo viewing mode, you can adjust the convergence by the Parallax Control lever. You can Push-Out or Pull-In the image depth relative to the screen. And you can save the changed photo for future viewing. This is good for adjusting for a photo taken with the wrong convergence.
    3. For shooting 3D objects which is far away, it has a 2 step shooting mode (they call it Advance 3D mode). You shoot one picture a one view point, then the camera put the shot image on the screen and overlap with a preview image that allow you for alignment. Then you walk right for a number of steps (to create a very large physical disparity), looking at the overlapping image, and shoot the 2nd image effectively from another angle. This allow you to create a 3D image pair for object far away, e.g. large building far away, so that the 3D image pair show good 3D depth. Walking right when shooting the 2nd photo will give you a parallel-eye side-by-side photo, and you can a cross-eye vice versa.

Then in the Menu-Setting screen, it allow a vertical alignment correction for the left-right camera pair. As every engineer knows, manufacturing process has tolerances, and so it is almost impossible to have perfect alignment of the 2 optical axis of the front camera modules. Fujifilm W3 allow user to correct it in software setting. So after you buy your camera and get familiar with basic operation, check this function out to improve the picture quality. All 3D mania knows 3D photos taken with un-aligned vertical optical axis will cause eye strain when you view the picture, no matter what display you use.
    If you try this and do not know how to use it, ask me again.

kenny_wy_chow, Feb 14, 2011
Ask a Question