Convert Side by Side to Anaglyph 3D

Discussion in '3D Video' started by ChrisMohrSr, Jul 26, 2012.

1. ChrisMohrSr

ChrisMohrSr Member

To Any And All Who May Be Able To Help :

I recently purchased the DXG-5F9VHD 3D camcorder. After much frustration and emotional stress I have
    reached the conclusion that in order to enjoy any 3D videos I may shoot with the camcorder, I must go out and
    spend a goodly sum on a 3D HDTV.

I have an Aiptek i2 3D camcorder and it has the provision for converting any 3D videos into red/cyan anaglyphs.
    The DXG-5F9V 3D camcorder does not have this provision. I can't tell you how stunned and disappointed I
    was to discover this. The camcorder is a beautiful, compact little machine and does a fine job of recording 2D
    videos, but I did not buy the camcorder to make 2D videos. I erroneously thought that until I do get a 3D
    HDTV I can use the camcorder to shoot anaglyphs, as I can do with my Aiptek i2 3D camcorder. How wrong
    can one be? My mind boggles at the fact that after designing such a rich looking little camcorder to sell at a
    reasonable price, they left out a provision for making anaglyphs. Even more mind boggling is the fact that they
    provide ArcSoft software that is exactly like the ArcSoft software that came with my Aiptek i2 camcorder,
    except that their provided software does not have the anaglyph provision and the Aiptek i2 software does.

Stranger still is the fact that the 3D Arcsoft software will not recognize the 5F9V HD. At least, I can't make
    it so. There is, apparently, a definite difference between those two programs. I have tried several times to get
    some sort of explanation from ArcSoft, but all I get is a useless form response.

I guess it's just live and learn, but I am 83 years old and don't have much time for that anymore. So, if anyone
    can help me obtain some simple software that will convert side by side 3D video clips into red/cyan anaglyphs, I
    shall be most thankful.

ChrisMohrSr, Jul 26, 2012
  2. ChrisMohrSr

Ian Administrator Staff Member

You can definitely do this, but it may be a little more complicated - I've not been able to find an app that can do this all in one for you, although I'm sure one will exist somewhere.

There are some 3D tools for AviSynth (free), which should let you convert side-by-side to anaglyph:

http://www.pantarheon.org/AviSynth3DToolbox/

I've not used this before, so I can't give any specific advice how how it works - but from what I've read, it should be possible using that software.

Ian, Aug 1, 2012
  3. ChrisMohrSr

ChrisMohrSr Member

Thank you Ian, but I'm afraid most of that is beyond me at this point. At my age I don't have the time, patience or background to try and decypher all of that.

At least one app exists in that ArcSoft software that comes with the Aiptek i2 3D Camcorder. But no matter how hard I try I cannot get any response from Aiptek or ArcSoft in regard to that software. They have some strange ways of conducting customer relations albeit a very simple way. They just ignore the customer's emails. Who has time for customers when there is technology to advance.

Thanks for your interest Ian. I think computer technology and the Internet are fast becoming uncontainable and when and if everything breaks down, it's gonna be spectacular.

ChrisMohrSr, Aug 1, 2012
  4. ChrisMohrSr

Jonathan Harrison New Member

Sorry if my reply is a bit late, (hoping the person I'm trying to help isn't...) but I just found this forum. I believe what you are looking for in particular is this sub-function of that library... I scrolled through the document, skimming it and found a heading called "Conversion Functions" - Ta-da! I think I found the function you need - it's called LeftRight3DToRCAnaglyph(c) - that should convert your left-right 3D image to Red-Cyan anaglyph. AviSynth is just a simple scripting language for handling audio and video streams, doing simple processing on the clip with script and DLL functions, then spitting out the result to a program that can work with it, such as VirtualDub. It'd be difficult to give you a crash course on how to use this, but suffice to say it's kind of like BASIC programming for multimedia streams. :)

Anyway, the AviSynth script would be extremely simple... I think this would work, as long as the file is mp4 like I suspect it probably is and thus decipherable through DirectShow.

clip=sourcefile.mp4 # or whatever the filename in question is
    v=DirectShowSource(clip, audio=false) # load the video from the source clip
    p=LeftRight3DToRCAnaglyph(v) # work the magic on the video
    a=DirectShowSource(clip, video=false) # now just load the audio, don't process
    AudioDub(p,a) # and dub them together to feed to VirtualDub

Save that script with an .avs extension and load it into VirtualDub, then save the clip from that into an AVI file. Oh, this is assuming you've installed AviSynth and the Pantarheon plugins as well. All of which are free. Of course, you must download and install a few free programs, for all of this to work. And unfortunately, AVI is a bit of an old container and not very good for h.264. I don't know what output container you require, but it's probably not AVI. Which makes things that much more complicated.

I'm sorry if you're an old man and can't wrap your head around it, but this is about the only way it's going to get done. No one from Aiptek has come to your rescue in the past two years, I presume? They basically told you to go whistle, right? At least I'm trying... then again, I'm half your age and have been messing with this particular program for years. But when I saw the unsatisfactory conclusion to this thread, I felt I could do better than that.

Anyway, if you want to spend money on it and have an easy way to do it, Xilisoft 3D Video Converter might do the trick. I'm trying it out now on my system. Apparently the full version is like $36, but you can try it for free. http://www.xilisoft.com/3d-video-converter.html

Actually trying it right now...

Okay, within 3 seconds of installing the program I found that the trial limitation is that it will only encode 3 minutes of any given video. That's good enough to test it, though. Also, I noticed in the splash screen - Copyright 2004-2011. That means a couple of things.

1. This program is old, and could have been recommended a long time ago. Like, at first. Ian didn't google that hard.
    2. This program is old and no longer in development. Basically you'd be paying them for an old piece of software that they haven't updated in three years.
    3. Did I mention this program is old?

It seems to work, but it's not exactly speedy. In fact, it's pretty slow. I converted a 71 second side by side clip to h.264 in a whopping 9 minutes... this is on a Core 2 Due E7400... Due to its age, don't expect the program to support the latest enhancements with regard to QuickSync / CUDA / AMD APP. Very few things do, and I'm not exactly sure why not? Surely it's not as if the technology hasn't been around for a few years? Why haven't developers made better use of this?

Ah... here we go. They have. Try this one. http://www.movavi.com/videoconverter3d/ only CUDA or Intel, though, no AMD APP... :(

Jonathan Harrison, May 23, 2014
Ask a Question