Confusion of 2D to 3D conversion

Discussion in 'General 3D and Stereoscopic Discussion' started by Wrightway Stone, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Wrightway Stone

Wrightway Stone Active Member

Hi Ladies and Gentlemen,
    When we saw a 3D movie, first you felt the storyline is good or not, then you will judge the 3D effects that whether exciting you or let you disappoint at.
    I have enjoyed many 3D movies, from classic (House of Wax --- not the 2005 reshooting one, and some classic old western 3D movies) to modern (Avatar.....), I remembered the impressed one was an Imax short 3D movie at Imax theater Montreal 1994, the contents are a couple of squirrel eating nutshells, they popup to front of your face, like you can touch them, and a plane penetrate to a deep valley with abundant trees, as you are there.) Till now I still felt the Imax team is a wonderful one, they deserve the honor for their insistence to shooting real 3D movies.
    2010, 2011, I will emphasize the technical years, why we will accept the 2D to 3D converted movies to show at theater? mostly these movies only the
    head of producer show up 3D effects, but the entire contents are not, can't you feel that you are wasting your money to view these movies?
    I have receive an opinion that the 2D to 3D converted ones, they have a little right-left parallel distance if shows in the PC, but at theater the gap will increase, then the viewer will sees the 3D effects. But I will say that this is not a true 3D!
    Theoretical, 2D to 3D conversion processes are as following:
    1. Let entire movie to some deeper into screen,
    2. Then select parallel moving pan scenes, give 1-4 frames forward or behind to right and left eye view, to produce two eyes's parallel distance.
    But the difficulties are: most movie scenes use dolly and fix point panning and rarely the parallel moving pan, then you have no chance to make parallel distance for two eyes.
    That all I will say, than you.
    Please take a look at some of my opinions:
    https://www.3d-forums.com/cheapest-way-enjoy-3d-movies-t252.html

Wrightway Stone, Mar 12, 2011
  2. Wrightway Stone

5Deck.com Member

The idea of using horizontal panning to make a 3D effect is very clever, but it has the limitation of only being usable during very specific scenes. Also, the scene would have to have little enough motion that the differences in time between the two images isn't noticeable. The real problem with the conversion is simply that the information for 2 separate images is not available (it was never recorded by a camera). Thefore, the only processes that will work are ones that create or interpolate the correct images.

A smart 3D modeling program might be able to estimate the distance, size, and shape of objects, then assuming that those objects don't change colors significanty on the edges when turned, the program could skew the parts of the image independently (e.g. a nose on a persons face would move more in the front than in the back by just a tiny bit because it's closer to the screen). The nice thing about doing it this way is that you wouldn't have to skew each image very far, you just split the image in both directions half as much and discard the original imge. It would not be perfect, because the program would have to make assumptions, and any object that has a lot of shape variety may not look quite right. However, considering how fast movies go, viewers probably wouldn't notice such details on specific objects.

I think you made a good point about panning. If the modeling program took advantage of nearby scenes, the 2D to 3D transition would be even more accurate.

~Change is Silver
    Author of "How to Make a Holodeck" (5Deck.com) and Creator of Unili arT (UniliarT.com)

5Deck.com, Apr 5, 2011
  3. Wrightway Stone

Wrightway Stone Active Member

I have made samples about 2D to 3D conversion, and posted in this forum as article: "New samples of 2D to 3D movie converting" (included with download URL), if you feel interested, may you download them. Enjoy!

Wrightway Stone, Apr 5, 2011
  4. Wrightway Stone

arronlee Member

I have only tried image conversion but I have none experience on mobie conversion. Is it difficult?

arronlee, Feb 26, 2014
  5. Wrightway Stone

lucywill New Member

me too, only done image conversion before. it must be hard to convert 2D to 3D. i hope there is a tutorial to teach us.

lucywill, May 9, 2014
Ask a Question