Clash of the Titans and Star Wars Conversion House Interview

Discussion in 'General 3D and Stereoscopic Discussion' started by 3Dfocus, May 1, 2011.

1. 3Dfocus

3Dfocus Member

3Dfocus, May 1, 2011
  2. 3Dfocus

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Great interview Jon - I enjoyed reading that.

I didn't appreciate how much work was involved with rotoscoping :eek:

Ian, May 3, 2011
  3. 3Dfocus

3Dfocus Member

Hi Ian

Thanks! Rotoscoping individual hair strands? What a nightmare!

Jon

3Dfocus, May 4, 2011
  4. 3Dfocus

5Deck.com Member

Hm, very intersting! I really liked this interview. It's too bad they couldn't detail some of there proprietary techniques because but of course it makes sense that they'd want to protect them. The most interesting thing to me was the idea that a movie is not just devloped by the camera crew and an in-house computer graphics design studio, but by people from hundreds of other companies. This helps it make more sense why every aspect of 3D can become a long and gruelling process. Hopefully more companies will start making out-of-the-box 3D effects (rather than layers and filters made in 2D and then created in 3D as an afterthought) for all forms of CG and cheaper 3D camera rigs, but even then I think their detail-oriented conversion techniques will be handy for mastering a 3D film.

One thing that is not often discussed is the conversion of films beyond just two perspectives. This could be an important step in the future because even 3D films only give one person a single set of perspectives. So there could be a new field of stereoscopic 3D to multi-perspective 3D that is based on the same 2D to 3D principals. That's probably a long ways off though. :p

5Deck.com, May 9, 2011
Ask a Question