Cheap 3D video setup

Discussion in '3D Video' started by DynV, Oct 23, 2017.

1. DynV

DynV New Member

Hello,

As this is my 1st post, there's a tradition to introduce oneself in it. I saw the rise & fall of the 3D video, I think it was late 2000s or(and) early 2010s, and had no interest in that. I got interested with wikipedia 3D image or(and) short video with the old school system of red & blue (a filter for each eye). I was convinced I could find a cheap pair of glasses on eBay, which was the case, so bookmarked the content of interest. I reopened the content with anticipation when receiving the pair and was pleasantly surprised. I then watched 3D videos (using the same system) of my hometown and got pretty interested in doing the same for different part of it, and shooting my close ones.

I saw the video
    SHOOT 3D NOW ! How to use a 3D side-by-side rig - YouTube
    [​IMG]

, which feature a setup with 2 camcorders on top of a kind of mini rail which is mounted around it's center (bottom) on a tripod, camcorders that are genlocked and have a single wired remote for both (kind of like a "Y" from the remote to the 2 camcorders). I learned in that video that the distance between the 2 video sources should be 30:1. What I liked about this (compared to a dual-lenses camera), is that I could keep the same amount of 3D even though I'm shooting things at a different distance (in front of the camera), by increasing or reducing the distance between the 2 video sources; I could also use a different ratio if the standard changed or that I realized I had it wrong. I thought I could something alike cheaply. Although my rig would need to be
    1. mobile (ie: w/ DIY camera stabilizer (hopefully mounted at the hips for prolonged usage if affordable, I can do a few minutes at a time if expensive)),
    2. portable (I don't have a vehicle, so would be taking plain public transport (there's no route with a bus w/ big luggage compartment, as in coach, to my hometown and even if there were I don't really have money for that)).

Thank you kindly for your help or feedback

Update 1:

If the stabilizer used weight, it would be nice to have them be water refillable, to be lighter while transporting it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2017
    DynV, Oct 23, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. DynV

DynV New Member

I don't seem to be able to edit my OP anymore (I could when it was in moderation queue), could a moderator apply the following changes (then delete this message) ?
    s/old school system or/old school system of/
    s/doing the same of/doing the same for/

DynV, Oct 23, 2017
    Ian likes this.
    1. Advertisements