A real basic question on 3d dvd playback

Discussion in 'General 3D and Stereoscopic Discussion' started by bbbacres, Jan 2, 2020.

1. bbbacres

bbbacres New Member

I have two 3d dvds here. One is AVATAR. When I insert it into my Sony 3d player, it immediately hows me a 3d picture, which I can then choose to change to the 2d version. I am not given any kind of 3d choices, it simply works. Even the FBI warming has the double image that we associate with 3d.

But the 2nd DVD (Journey to the Center of the Earth) acts differently. When I insert it the disc plays in 2d. When I use my tv remote to change to 3d mode, it does not immediately go to 3d. Rather it gives me a menu choice of over and under pics or side by side pics. Nothing I do will start it playing in normal 3d mode to watch with my Sharp active lens 3d glasses. I don't want to simulate 3d, which is a choice. If I choose either over/under or side by side, a huge double image appears on screen and it is unwatchable. Glasses do not cure it.

I get a little confused between choices that might be in the DVD player and choices that might be in the TV. Most of all, why doesn't the DVD just start playing in 3D so I can put on my glasses and watch?

Thanks, I know this is basic and even a bit off topic.

bbbacres, Jan 2, 2020
  2. bbbacres

Erik Schoolcraft Member

Your tv has to be compliant with over-under and sbs presentations. Once you choose the options on the player you have to then choose the option on the playback device also so your glasses can sync to the playback. Either television or projection. Some players don't automatically start the image playback with the information provided. Look at my post on FS dvd's being used on modern equiptment. I was lucky to find a projector willing to handle them but I have to use an old DVD player and manually switch the projector before it works.

Erik Schoolcraft, Jan 5, 2020
  3. bbbacres

3D kandao vr New Member

If the TV can directly select the 3D mode, then there should be a problem with the DVD.

3D kandao vr, Jan 6, 2020
  4. bbbacres

Erik Schoolcraft Member

Are you talking about DVD or Blu-Ray 3-D? I don't recall either of these titles being released on DVD in the states in 3-D either than the anaglyph Journey on DVD or the Avatar in BR 3-D. If you are using an earlier 3-D television then you may need to go into the settings. and work it out. If you are using later equiptment then you shouldn't have a problem unless it is a problem with your glasses. Sometimes even when a shutter system works if you look away from the screen you will need to re-resyncronyze the glasses depending on what you are using. Some of them depend on the sync signal displayed.

Erik Schoolcraft, Jan 13, 2020
Ask a Question