3D Viewers

Discussion in 'General 3D and Stereoscopic Discussion' started by Steven Schmitt, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Steven Schmitt

Steven Schmitt Member

These two viewers are made from microscope slides and clear plastic sheets. The first one is for cross eyed images or movies. The microscope slides were cut in half and glued to the base plate with rubber cement. The other sides were filled in with clear plastic to form a water proof container. When filled with water the viewer becomes two prisms. The right eye sees the left image and the left eye sees the right image. The two marks on the base plate are 2.2" apart which is the normal pupil distance.

However I have found that there are very few if any real cross eyed images, most are side by side. For a side by side viewer the two prisms are turned around so the right eye sees the right image and the left eye sees the left image. This viewer has one large water chamber which is much better then the two chamber design.

The side by side viewer also works for viewing stereograms.

I have my 32" HDTV connected to my computer as a second monitor so I can watch Youtube videos on the TV. To view 3D sit about 4' or 5' back. On some videos that are compressed I set the TV to wide which makes the picture wider but does not fully correct the compression.

I am just starting to view 3D images and movies. If I put a 3D DVD into the computer and play it, will it appear as side by side?

Some Youtube videos are normal sized and others are compressed.

100_5638.JPG 100_5829.JPG

Steven Schmitt, Nov 14, 2013
  2. Steven Schmitt

wim hoppenbrouwers Well-Known Member

Hallo Steven! Is it possible to make a drawing of this viewer?
    With an explanation please.

greetings Wim

wim hoppenbrouwers, Dec 4, 2013
  3. Steven Schmitt

Steven Schmitt Member

There are no critical dimensions, the two prisms do not have to the same. In fact all that is really needed is one prism for one eye.
    The base plate is 3/4" x 4". A microscope slide is 1" x 3" so when cut in half the size of each prism is 1" x 1.5". Microscope slides have very good optics and are easy to find. The center distance between the two prisms should be about 2.2".
    All that is needed is for the two prisms to be about the same size and sort of square. By holding the viewer at different angles all the distortions can be resolved. The viewer has to be about 4' back and in line (centered) with the picture. Off side viewing does not work.
    File0696.jpg

Steven Schmitt, Dec 5, 2013
    wim hoppenbrouwers likes this.
Ask a Question