3D TV's - Will they be glasses free?

Discussion in '3D TVs' started by karimahmad, Apr 15, 2010.

?

Would you want glasses or no glasses while watching a 3D TV?

1. Glasses

75.0%
  2. No Glasses

25.0%
  1. karimahmad

karimahmad Member

I have been researching 3D technology for a number of months now and as 2010 seems to be THE Year for 3D TV's I'd like to find out your thoughts on which technology you think will succeed?

3D TV With Glasses OR 3D TV Without Glasses ?

Karim

PS. I came accross this forum today while looking for details on Autostereoscopy, which I found here: https://www.3d-forums.com/autostereoscopic-displays-t1.html

karimahmad, Apr 15, 2010
  2. karimahmad

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the forums Karim :)

I think we'll see glasses with the vast majority of 3D TV's for some time to come - autostereoscopic technology is too expensive for the time being (as well as other drawbacks relating to viewing angle and resolution etc...). Autostereoscopic TV's are certainly very novel and may appear once the technology has advanced a little bit, but I think that's a few years away.

Ideally, it would be nice to have the same picture quality without glasses - but knowing the limitations of the technology I'll have to vote "with glasses" for now :)

Ian, Apr 18, 2010
  3. karimahmad

karimahmad Member

I agree with you, Ian, I can't see glasses-less 3DTV for at least a couple of years commercially. I do not even know as yet if 3D TV technology will become mainstream for a number of months.

I've found a lot of websites out there talking a great deal about 3D TV but not much in the way of actual purchases that can be made in the UK.

I'd be intersted to find out if anyone here has seen any demos of any 3D TVs as yet.

Karim

karimahmad, Apr 20, 2010
  4. karimahmad

milkkart New Member

flopping on the sofa with a pair of glasses on seems greatly preferable to having to sit bolt upright keeping my head in exactly the right spot to be able to see the tv properly (as seems to be an inherent requirement of autostereoscopic screens).
    are glasses really such a hardship?

milkkart, May 28, 2010
  5. karimahmad

Ian Administrator Staff Member

That's a very good point... ;) The autostereoscopic monitor I was using had a very small optimal viewing region, so watching long videos was a big no-no!

You can get eye tracking autostereoscopic displays that work surprisingly well, although this wouldn't work for multiple viewers. It would be very handy for some applications though.

Ian, Jun 1, 2010
  6. karimahmad

K. L. Morris Member

I guess glasses are fine with me. I don't think its such a hassle. Well, glasses would help me get a better feel of 3D no matter what so ever!

K. L. Morris, Jun 19, 2010
Ask a Question