3D Nintendo DS

Discussion in '3D Gaming' started by Ian, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Has anyone here got a Nintendo DS? It looks like they are releasing a Nintendo 3DS which uses some sort of autostereoscopic display in a gaming console:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/10323971.stm

Sounds very interesting, but I've never used a DS before and don't know how good they actually are. Has anyone here?

Ian, Jun 15, 2010
  2. Ian

xeysz New Member

I have the original Nintendo DS (not the Lite or DSi). The 3DS does sound interesting. What the DS lacks in power is made up by unique functions such as a mic, a touchscreen, cameras, etc. and now in the 3DS there is a single camera to track your head for the autostereoscopic screen and two cameras on the other side that can be used to take pictures and record video in "3D" (which can presumably be shared with other 3DS users).

Even if the device seems gimmicky at first, I think these functions really enable video game developers to do very creative things with their games (that they would otherwise be unable to do with other devices such as the PSP and iPod). I've already seen before the same game released on both the PSP and the DS whereas the PSP has the better graphics but the DS can take advantage of the touch screen and mic for better gameplay. And that's probably what interests me the most, seeing what kind of games the developers create to take advantage of this technology. I also read it will be capable of playing 3D movies. Now I'm not sure how that will turn out, but it seems to me that Nintendo will be advertising it to kids that love 3D but dislike the glasses and don't mind the small screen.

xeysz, Jun 15, 2010
  3. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the forums zeysz! :)

I was wondering if there was any autostereoscopic tracking, so thanks for the info... I'm going to have to check one of these units out as it sounds like this could be quite a fun little gaming machine (and handy for basic stereoscopic photos).

Ian, Jun 17, 2010
  4. Ian

xeysz New Member

Yup, thanks for the welcoming

xeysz, Jun 18, 2010
Ask a Question