120 hz

Discussion in '3D TVs' started by HaGGard, May 11, 2010.

1. HaGGard

HaGGard New Member

Hey guy's I could use a little clearing up here...

If I were to buy a 120 hz T.V, that will be able to display 3D content wont it? I was under the impression that you need a minimum of 120 hz and a pair of special glasses in order to view 3D...

These new 240 hz 3D ready T.V's are 240 hz, and I assume that makes it so they have 2 120 hz streams one for each eye? I also heard they have upscaling built in, so they make non 3d content look 3D?

Anyways what I am getting at here is, if I were to buy a sharp aquos LED 120hz T.V would I be able to buy say avatar on blu ray in 3D, buy a pair of the glasses, then watch it, will it look 3D, or do I need a 3D TV? The only real difference I see between the 2 is the upscaling, and the 240 hz which I assume would just make the 3d look more smooth...

HaGGard, May 11, 2010
  2. HaGGard

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Hi HaGGard, you'll need to buy a TV that specifically mentions that it is 3D TV compatible. Although many TVs could technically display a stereo image using active shutter glasses, there would be no simple way to sync the shutter rate (among many other problems).

Ian, May 13, 2010
  3. HaGGard

HaGGard New Member

How is it possible to buy an nvidia graphics card for your computer, and any 120hz monitor to achieve 3D?

HaGGard, May 13, 2010
  4. HaGGard

Ian Administrator Staff Member

That's because the active shutter glasses are controlled via the nvidia card, so there is some standardisation there :). On a TV, it wouldn't be possible to control the shutter glasses unless it was designed to use them. There may be some 3rd party conversion products in the coming months though.

Ian, May 16, 2010
Ask a Question