What is a cheap 3D stereo camera under $100?

Discussion in '3D Cameras' started by jhon martinvish, Sep 15, 2012.

1. jhon martinvish

jhon martinvish New Member

Are there any cheap stereo 3d cameras out there that will take 2 pictures at the same time, lenses about 2 inches or so apart? Any digital or just 35mm

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2015
    jhon martinvish, Sep 15, 2012
  2. jhon martinvish

mike Well-Known Member

None that i know of the cheapest new is just over £100 on ebay from china it doesn't sound that good,then second hand W3 are over £100 pounds on ebay,if you haven't already looked you could have a look here all i know is its a great system.

http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/sdm/index.htm

mike, Sep 15, 2012
  3. jhon martinvish

ChrisMohrSr Member

Hi Mike,

I am a 83 year old retired photographer and I have been using the same Stereo Realist camera since 1952. If you are willing to go the 35mm film route and shoot stereo slides (the best quality) then just Google Stereo Realist and you will find tons of info on that unique stereo camera. My 1952 Stereo Realist still works perfectly after 60 years of shooting over four thousand stereo slides. They don't make anything like that anymore.

Then too, you can buy any of several small 3D Camcorders which will also take stereo still pictures, but nothing beats the quality of the Stereo Realist 35mm camera.

Good Luck with whatever you do.

ChrisMohrSr

ChrisMohrSr, Oct 3, 2012
  4. jhon martinvish

wim hoppenbrouwers Well-Known Member

Do just cha-cha with a single cheap camera.

wim hoppenbrouwers, Dec 10, 2012
  5. jhon martinvish

Glenn Member

Good luck trying to find a good stereo camera that's also cheap. I was lucky to find a Stereo Realist for $10 ( ! ! ! ! ) at a yard-sale 20 years ago. Top-notch camera (and built like a tank!), but you need to process the film and mount the slides yourself in some cases. On the website Welt Der Stereoskopie they show examples of (very old) Leica 3d mirror or prism fronts, which would be a good idea to have (or something like one) that you could simply use whatever digital camera you happened to have. Or as Wim said, you can just cha-cha with a single camera to get nice 3d's when you reassemble those Lefts and Rights. If you want to capture a subject in motion, a 3d front could probably be cheaply made with a little effort and a few front-surface mirrors if you couldn't find one on ebay or some camera specialty site.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
    Glenn, Jan 29, 2014
  6. jhon martinvish

alexi_drago Active Member

The only cheap one I've seen is the vivitar T135 for £30-35, unfortunately and for some reason that completely escapes me, this camera only saves 3D images as anaglyph, it won't even just save the 2 separate images which should really just be a firmware issue.

alexi_drago, Aug 23, 2015
  7. jhon martinvish

ChrisMohrSr Member

Google in "digital 3D camera" and that will answer your question.

ChrisMohrSr, Aug 23, 2015
  8. jhon martinvish

Just came across another I'd seen a while ago, the aiptek i2, its more of a phone shaped camcorder and in 3D mode it's 720p HSBS so not very high resolution and without a firmware update the video is choppy, a few examples of output on YouTube, some with/without the update. Looks like photos are a little better quality but still not great.

alexi_drago, Aug 23, 2015
  9. jhon martinvish

Found another one on eBay for £30, median x47006, can't find much info about it. It's a camcorder again and not sure if it does stills and the video is very low resolution but from a couple of videos on YouTube it does look like the video is smoother than the aiptek although the 3D is maybe not quite as effective.

alexi_drago, Aug 24, 2015
  10. jhon martinvish

And another, the Viewsonic 3DV5, looks very similar to the Aiptek but possibly without the framerate issues.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
    alexi_drago, Aug 24, 2015
  11. jhon martinvish

Well, I picked up both an Aiptek and a Viewsonic pretty cheap, the Aiptek was 2nd hand though and still cost slightly more than the viewsonic.
    They are pretty much identical except for the casing, I've only tried them indoors in low light but the recordings are pretty much the same too as far as I can see so far.
    The viewsonic, new, on Amazon was £22+p&p

alexi_drago, Aug 29, 2015
    Ian likes this.
  12. jhon martinvish

Just to add, the aiptek firmware update can be applied to both and have improved the framerate on both.
    Just make sure to check the current firmware version and apply the correct update.
    The video quality isn't great, I've not checked out the stills quality yet as my TV won't display stills in 3d unless they're .mpo so I'll have to convert them first and I'm going to go out for a bit to take some pics to try it out.

alexi_drago, Aug 29, 2015
Ask a Question