Converting a conventional lcd tv into autostereoscopic

Discussion in 'General 3D and Stereoscopic Discussion' started by Antonio, May 14, 2010.

1. Antonio

Antonio Member

Good morning.

I've got a nice 42'' lcd tv. I've created a parallax barrier for 9 views. When i display still images everything goes as expected: An amazing 3D effect everyone can see. But the problem is that when I try to displays 3D movies I get wrong edge artifacts (???) that make the video display with 3D effect but with some blurring and some crosstalk. Displaying the same video on a professional 3D display everything goes fine.

I know a tv set comes with a lot of options for image customization. I've dissabled all of them but still get wrong result. I called tv manufacturer to ask him what else can I do and the answer is: A tv set it's not a monitor (Sure it is not!, cheaper, tuning, etc).

The question it's what can i do to show on display exactly what my video card it's generating.

Thanks in advance!

Antonio, May 14, 2010
  2. Antonio

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Hi Antonio! Is this a parallax barrier you have created yourself? If so, good work!

I suspect that the blurring and crosstalk are due to alignment tolerances and light leakage. Light leakage is often minimised during commercial devices by using a light limiting film or other filters.

It could also be that the TV set panel isn't as responsive and the ghosting becomes very visible when used in a parallax setup.

Which TV are you using and I can look up the specs. I'd be very interested in knowing a little more about the barrier too :)

Welcome to the forums! :D

Ian, May 16, 2010
  3. Antonio

Antonio Member

Hi Ian!
    Thank you!

The TV I'm using is LG 42LF2510. When I use a LCD monitor like Samsung SyncMaster 2433 and I put the barrier according to its dimensions everything goes fine (... the only problem is that for nine views the display becomes too dark, so I'll build a five views parallax display). But when I use and lcd tv and the image is moving... wrong! I've got a lenticular sheet from a professional autostereoscopic display and put it on the tv... same results: Good visualization for still images but when video is played: blurring artifacts, blue color on BW images...
    I thing light leakage can be one reason but I'm afraid image processing inside the tv can be another cause. I've tried to dissable all setting in the menu but it seems there's something more I can't guess. I called LG to ask and the answer was: TV is not a monitor. (One example: When opening paint and drawing a single red line, when incrementing contrast I get another white line closed to the original red)

I once thought on doing some sort of inverse treatment on the image...

Talking about the barrier itselft, just tell me the display dimensions and pixel pitch and I'll give a nice .tiff file to print.;)

Thank you!

Antonio, May 17, 2010
  4. Antonio

It sounds like you really know what you are doing, so I'm not sure what else I can suggest :) I've got an LG TV too (47lg7000) and that does seem to do a lot of extra image processing, but if I set the input label to "PC" is disables things like the 100hz mode and some of the other processing options.

I'm not sure what I can recommend, but good luck in getting this to work :D

Ian, May 17, 2010
  5. Antonio

Antonio Member

Hello again.

All recomendations and ideas are welcome. At this moment I don't know what else can I do.:confused:

Antonio, May 17, 2010
  6. Antonio

Antonio Member

Still alive... I'm working on some pixel's preprocessing before interlacing images.... Help is still needed!.

Antonio, May 24, 2010
  7. Antonio

I'm all out of ideas Antonio, but if I think of anything else I will post back here and let you know :). Hopefully someone else will see this who knows a little more.

Good luck! :D

Ian, May 26, 2010
  8. Antonio

Hornet New Member

Hi Antonio
    are you able create 2 view barrier or lenticular (prismatic) foil for 24" monitor? I need cheap autostereo monitor for my experimetal work with live video 3D stereoscopic eye microsurgery recording. The Tridelity display is for my first attempts too expensive.

Hornet, May 27, 2010
  9. Antonio

Hornet New Member

Hi Antonio,
    isnt your problem in different pixels orientation (pattern) on TV and monitors?
    Can you help my with creating of 2 view barrier for syncmaster 24" 1920x1200 monitor?

Thx a lot
    Peter

Hornet, May 27, 2010
  10. Antonio

Antonio Member

Hi Hornet.

Sure I can help you. Just tell me the monitor model. You know on 24'' you don't exactly get that measure. For example, my SyncMaster 2433 is exactly 23'6 '' diagonal. Then, you get pixel pitch, print it and voila.

I'm sure you know two view autostereoscopic barrier well be very difficult to use; if you move you head just 3 cm you'll get inverse depth information... Anyway, if you need it, just give me the info I asked you before and I'll send you a nice .tiff file to print on a foil (Later I'd give you a few spec about viewind distance, etc)

Maybe you can be interested in making a stereoscopic monitor with a pair of cross polarized glasses an some cellopane... and your syncmaster, of course!
    ...believe me, it works!

Antonio, May 29, 2010
  11. Antonio

publicity New Member

Hello Antonio,

I just read your messages today about converting a standard lcd into autostereoscopic. I've been doing some research online for some help on this subject, but cannot find a way to do it; many people talk about it, but none of them actually had success. However I noticed that you had great success on still images.

I'm currently doing my final year at University, and my project is based on stereoscopic vision - so if I can do an experiment based on autostereoscopic that would be amazing :) I would really appreciate if you can help me with this project with some guidance. Can you give me your email if possible, so we can correspond better? I can also post my progress here so that other people can see the project develop and do some experiments themselves.

I'm suppose to build a video at the end of my project based on anaglyphs with glasses, but as an experiment I can include some stills using your autostereoscopic technique without glasses - that will surely help me achieve a good grade.

Best Regards,

David

p.s. my email is : [email protected]

publicity, Jun 6, 2010
  12. Antonio

Sly Member

hi there
    is it possible to know where did you buy your lenticular sheet?
    thanks

Sly, Jun 24, 2010
  13. Antonio

Antonio Member

Antonio, Jun 24, 2010
  14. Antonio

SpAiK New Member

Let me resume this topic that have casually found and is very interesting.

So basically there are two methods for autostereoscopy, parallax barrier and lenticular lens. Parallax could be done printing a pattern on a transparent sheet, but lenticular sheet is harder to get.

BTW, what about converting a monitor to use with polarized glasses? Could it be done?

SpAiK, Jul 23, 2010
  15. Antonio

Antonio Member

Sure. Just do this quick experiment: Get a piece of cellophane and put in anywhere in front your LCD. Now get a linear polarized glasses and see what happens when you open the right eye and later the left...

Antonio, Jul 29, 2010
  16. Antonio

digital123 New Member

Dear Antonio I have a viewsonic 28" lcd what pitch should I print , I already have all the good lenticular software, please help.

Muneer

digital123, Oct 30, 2011
  17. Antonio

May johnston New Member

Hi Antonio. I read your post in the forum that was published on 2010. I am working on a 3-D project and want to know if you can help me with my work. It is very interesting work and lots to see and experience. If you are interested plz reply me back.

May johnston, Jan 21, 2018
Ask a Question