3D perception

Discussion in 'General 3D and Stereoscopic Discussion' started by alexi_drago, Sep 1, 2015.

1. alexi_drago

alexi_drago Active Member

I get the feeling that many people dismiss 3D due to either not recognising or perhaps not percieving what it is that they're seeing, a lot seem to think automatically that 3D just means things pop out the screen and don't understand that there is depth behind the screen too even when it's presented to them. I have spoken to one person who says he doesn't see the difference between a 2D image and a 3D image with depth, however, I don't completely trust what he says as he does have a tendency to jump on one bandwagon or another and is firmly in the camp against 3D and when he put on a pair of passive 3D glasses he instantly started complaining 'my eyes, my eyes!' before he'd even looked at a 3D source so the glasses would have had no more effect than putting on a pair of weak sunglasses.

Anyway, back to the perception, I've noticed a couple of strange effects while working on and viewing stereoscopic images and it seems to be caused by how the brain is processing the information from the eyes.
    The first, I'm sure everyone will have noticed is (particularly when viewing a still image or scene) when you move your head sideways it seems like objects that are static in the background or foreground slide around sideways too, this seems to be because your brain is being fooled into thinking it's looking at a 3D scene and is expecting the view to change as you move your head so to make sense of the view not changing the brain perceives it as the background or foreground objects must be moving.
    The second thing I've noticed is from doing some stereo graphics programming, I had a cube spinning around in the foreground that I could position somewhere out in front (pop out) of the screen. Even though the actual size of the drawing of the cube on the screen didn't vary, depending on where I positioned the cube out from the screen I was percieving it to change in size, the further out from the screen and closer to my eyes the stereo position got, the smaller I perceived it to be even though it's size on the screen never actually changed.

Are there any other perceptual effects anyone else has noticed or anyone care to elaborate on those I've mentioned?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    alexi_drago, Sep 1, 2015
  2. alexi_drago

alexi_drago Active Member

Another thing I noticed once while a friends daughter was viewing 3D, she started flailing her arms around as if trying to repel something in front of her but there was nothing really popping out from the screen, it was as if she expected there to be things there just because it was 3D.

alexi_drago, Sep 1, 2015
  3. alexi_drago

uuglypher Member

Hi, Alexi,
    I am in total agreement with your observations on the variety of responses shown by different individuals to a variety of presented 3D illusions. I have long concluded that ( other than the confirmed nay-Sayers that the only "true" 3D experience comes from "normal" binocular vision) there is as much individual variation in demonstrable acuity of depth perception with the un-aided pair of eyes as there is with the abilities of different individuals to perceive presented 3D illusions of other sorts.

When the infant experiences its first visual experience as a consequence of being blasted with patches and shapes of tones of brightness and colors it experiences exactly what the rest of us ( other than the blind) experience every day of our lives. The only difference is that as the infant continues to experience vision, it learns (with varying degrees of success) to make sense of and extract meaning from those views of patches and shapes of tones of brightness and colors...just as we all have. As regards the concept of three dimensions, the results of the learning process can vary as much as can the results of any of the other learning processes we experience during life. Some individuals simply have a far greater capacity for greater accuracy of depth perception via binocular vision than do other people.

And so, I have long ceased to be surprised at the wide differences in capacity for visual perception and discernment that can be observed in any large, randomly selected population that is studied.

by way of example, some individual clearly perceive the 3D effect when viewing this image pair, some others will not.

Dave image.png image.png

uuglypher, Aug 15, 2016
  4. alexi_drago

Steven Schmitt Member

I noticed that it is possible to see 3D using two pictures that are not stereo pairs. An example would be the first picture taken 6 feet from the object, and the second taken 3 feet from the object. If the two pictures are made the same size and viewed with a stereoscope, they have depth. In fact, any two pictures of an object that are reasonably close can be used to give depth. It might be possible to train your eyes to see depth from various pairs of pictures that have weird parallax.

Steven Schmitt, Feb 3, 2023
  5. alexi_drago

Technition-Ted Active Member

Hi Alexi
    You say you have made images out of the screen? I'm new to converting films to 3d I feel forced to do this as we have been abandoned by the main line film producers, so now have to add the visual effects ourselves.

I've been watching utube videos demonstrating how to get pop out effects by adding top and bottom black bars then bringing items in the film over them, this works but some science you can't add the top and bottom bars.

I believe the next way is to alter the prospective of the items but that's the point I'm up to so if you've done it any pointing in the right direction would be great.

I agree with what you said about people just not understanding what they're seeing, I converted a naysayer by showing him the opening sciences from resident evil, where the rain is falling on the crossroads then I showed him minions end credits the scien with the ladders it blew his mind once he got it.

My thoughts are 3d was never introduced or sold properly, the TV manufactures never capitalised on what could be done with extra benefits like twin view LG had. I hope it will come back but unless marketed in a way the Masse's can understand it, it will continue to just be a gimmick rather than an experience.

Technition-Ted, Feb 12, 2023
Ask a Question